Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Year of the Bad Bitch by Author Shana Jay




            Is bitch the new term of endearment? The word Bitch is a verb so it shows action. Bitch defined refers to a
 female dog, wolf, fox or otter. For whatever reason women are not easily offended by a men 
calling them a bitch. As a matter of fact, women are taking pride in this blatant form of disrespect. 
They are submitting to the term and now its not uncommon to hear a woman refer to herself as a Bad Bitch. 
From what I see and hear to be called a Bad Bitch is really to be taken as a compliment. I personally 
have a problem with this mentality but I also no that men or people for that matter can only do what
 you allow them to do.
 As I reflect on the earlier years of my childhood there were so many positive shows to watch like The 
Cosby Show, A Different World, and Facts of Life. I can recall an episode of A Different World when
 Malik called Charmaine a “Digit Hoe.” He said that she would do anything for a number seeing as if they 
were in an algebra class. The episode continued where he was put on trial with the intentions of being
 expelled for his actions. How many of us would be convicted for this very ignorance?
In the past we had positive media outlets but now since reality TV has taken over it is being used as a tool to promote stupidity, bafoonery, and modern day slavery. I hate to watch Love and Hip Hip Atlanta and also Basketball Wives. Seriously, what are these shows promoting? All I see are women indulging in the definition of the term Bad Bitch. Not only that they make it seem cool to humiliate and belittle each other on national
 TV.  To add insult to injury the very people that promote these type of shows are our very own. 
For example,Shaunie who in my eyes is one of the biggest pimps of her time. Not only that she is getting rich exploiting what she should hold sacred and dear to her heart. Need I say more?
It seems that ignorance has reach an entire new plateau especially when the world thinks it cool to twerk for a 50,000 scholarship. I don't know what’s worse, being called a Bad Bitch or being a Bad Bitch that can
 twerk. It has been brought to my attention that in the year 2013 its not cool to be a woman of standards and morals and require a certain level of respect anymore.  
You may ask why would I make a statement like this? Let me start by saying that self esteem begins with that person. Self esteem is the esteem of self and you become a product of what you call yourself. I think
 therefore I am and that battle starts with the mind. If I say that I am successful then I am. If I say that I am a Bad Bitch then thats what I will be with animalistic tendencies. 
In conclusion, we as women need to step up to the plate and become the beacon of light we were intended
 to be. Respect is given where respect is due so lets act accordingly. 
XOXO 
SJ

No comments:

Post a Comment